Types of Dates (Khajoor): List of 17 Different Varieties of Dates
Dates are one of the most popular oval-shaped fruit with natural sweetness and a lot of nutrition. Khajoor is a type of fruit considered a superfood due to its various health benefits. Khajoor (Dates) is a soft, chewy, sweet, nutritious, and delicious fruit that grows in countries like the Middle East and North Africa. Nowadays, Dates are consumed worldwide in various products and food items as natural sweeteners like shakes, smoothies, nutritional bars, cakes, and various bakery items. Dates are a rich source of vitamins and minerals that help maintain good health. There are a lot of different varieties of dates, but people are not aware of all those varieties. Every types of dates has its taste, texture, and appearance. If you are in love with this delicious fruit, you must get to know list of dates name and some of its famous varieties here in this blog
17 Different Types of Dates (Khajoor) With Their Names
1. Medjool Dates
- Origin: grown in Morocco, Jordon, Palestine & Saudi Arabia.
- Size: These dates are large and soft & fibrous flavor.
- Color: It comes in reddish-brown to amber color.
- Taste: Sweet with a fibrous texture.
2. Piarom Dates
- Origin: These dates are grown in the Persian Gulf and middle east.
- Size: They are semi-dry, oval-shaped, and 2 to 5cm long.
- Color: It comes in dark brown to dark skin color.
- Taste: sweet and chocolaty in flavor with the texture of coffee and caramel.
- Use: Due to their low glycemic index, they are good to eat for people with diabetes and blood pressure.
Also Read: List of Dry Fruits
3. Omani Dates
- Origin: As the name suggests that grown in Oman & Middle East.
- Size: They are large in size.
- Color: Omani Dates are dark brown.
- Taste: They are sweet and juicy in taste.
4. Deglet Nour Dates
- Origin: Its origin is the oasis of Tolga and neighboring areas of Biskra & Oued Righ in Algeria.
- Size: These are medium in size and narrow, elongated oval shape.
- Color: It comes in dark brown, golden, and amber-colored dates.
- Taste: Semi-dry dates sweet in taste and delicate, known for their delightful flavor.
5. Mazafati Dates
- Origin: Grown in the region of southern Iran, mainly in Bam, a city in Kerman, Iran.
- Size: These dates are medium in size usually range from 2.5 to 4cm.
- Color: Dark brown with a soft & fleshy appearance.
- Taste: Mazafati dates are soft, chocolaty caramel in taste with thick flesh texture.
6. Barhi Dates
- Origin: Talking of different types of dates without mentioning Barhi is not fair. The source of the Barhi dates in Iraq.
- Size: Barhi dates size is small to medium, 2 to 3-4 cm in length, and its shape is round.
- Color: Yellow.
- Taste: Barhi tastes like caramel, sweet and soft.
Also Read: Different Types of Seeds
7. Rabbi Dates
- Origin: It is one of the oldest dates origins from Zabul, Chabahar, and other cities in Sistan Baluchistan, Iran.
- Size: Semi-dry, long, and oval-shaped dates ranging from 3 to 5cm.
- Color: Rabbi dates are reddish-black.
- Taste: Rabbi is sweet with a fleshy and soft texture.
8. Thoory Dates
- Origin: It’s originated in Algeria, a country in northern Africa.
- Size: Thoory dates are medium to large and are oblong in shape.
- Color: It comes in golden brown color.
- Taste: Thoory is fairly dry & taste like a delicate nutty flavor.
9. Sayer Dates
- Origin: Sayer dates are majorly cultivated in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf.
- Size: Sayer dates size between 2.5 to 4cm and is long & oval in shape.
- Color: It comes in reddish and dark brown colors.
- Taste: Sayer dates are sweet in taste & semi-dry with a soft texture.
10. Dayri Dates
- Origin: It originates in Basrah city, located on the Shatt al-Arab, Iraq.
- Size: The skin of Dayri dates is tender and red, and they are medium to large in size
- Color: It comes in dark brown to black.
- Taste: It has modest sweetness with a soft and heavy texture.
11. Halawi Dates
- Origin: Halawi dates come from the date trees of the deserts and farms of Iraq.
- Size: These are small to medium in size.
- Color: It comes in golden brown color.
- Taste: Halawi is sweet with a caramel honey-like flavor and has a soft texture.
12. Sukkary Dates
- Origin: It originates from the Al-Qassim region in Saudi Arabia.
- Size: Sukkary are the types of dates that are sized from small to medium.
- Color: It comes in golden color.
- Taste: Sukkary dates are the queen of dates, and it is sweet, crispy, and creamy in taste.
Also Read: Herbal Tea Vs Green Tea
13. Khudri Dates
- Origin: Khudri dates is also in our dates list which is cultivated in Saudi Arabia.
- Size: It comes in both small and large sizes.
- Color: Dark brown color.
- Taste: Its taste is medium sweet with a smooth texture, also chewy but not dry.
14. Zahidi Dates
- Origin: Zahidi dates are cultivated in northern Iraq.
- Size: Its size is medium and round in shape, or weight ranges from 8 to 12g.
- Color: It comes in light brown color.
- Taste: Zahidi dates have a nutty flavor.
15. Safawi Dates
- Origin: Safawi dates are grown in Medinah, a city in western Saudi Arabia.
- Size: These are medium-sized dates.
- Color: It comes in dark black cherry color.
- Taste: Safawi is sweet with wrinkled textures harder to chew.
16. Kalmi Dates
- Origin: Kalmi Dates is a variant of Safawi which originated in Madinah, Saudi Arabia.
- Size: These types of khajoor are small and cylindrical in size
- Color: Kalmi dates are black in color.
- Taste: These dates are sweet.
17. Ameri Dates
- Origin: Ameri dates cultivated in Iraq.
- Size: It’s shape is elongated, and its weight ranges from 8 to 22g.
- Color: It comes in large with gorgeous reddish-brown skin.
- Taste: These are moderately sweet.
There are a hundred types of dates (Khajoor) globally, but only a dozen are popular. These 15 types are best from the rest in taste, texture, and appearance. With this blog, you get to know about the best varieties of dates names that you can enjoy eating.
Saudi Arabia and Iran dates are highest in demand, so Safawi, Kalmi, Rabbi and Mazafati dates are best.
Dates are very hot dry fruits, so eating more than 5 in a day can be harmful for health.
Dates are high in moisture whereas dry date are low in moisture. This is the reason why dry dates last for a long time.
Dates should be eaten with milk, it is good for health, it gives strength to your bones and makes digestion strong.